Suggestions for preparing for the Wildlife portion of the Envirothon competition
- Make contact with your local Game, Fish and Park office and local birding club.
- Arrange to borrow a critter crate.
- Encourage all students to go outside and take pictures of signs with a camera or phone. Use the Outdoor Action Guide to Animal Tracking: pages 1 – 6 to find and understand signs.
- Use the items in the critter crate to become familiar with field guides such Petersen’s Field Guide to Mammals and Scat and Tracks of the Great Plains.
- Use the All About Birds website to learn the shape, habitat, feeding habits, conservation status, and songs of these common birds:
- American Robin
- Canada Goose
- Bald Eagle
- Black-capped Chickadee
- White-breasted Nuthatch
- Western Meadowlark
- Great Horned Owl
- Mallard Duck
- Use the resources from the South Dakota Game, Fish and Park pages to identify native, non-native, extinct, extirpated and huntable species.
- Carrying Capacity
- Biotic and Abiotic
- Biome and Ecoregion
- Predator and Prey relationships
- Population Dynamics
- Genetic and Species Biodiversity
- Migration of South Dakota species
- South Dakota fish
- Aquatic food webs
Wildlife Key Points
The Envirothon has put together an online study guide for Wildlife. Assign 2 students to become the Subject Matter Experts for Wildlife.
The Subject Matter Experts know and understand the Key Points. They also do the suggested activities and present information to their teammates. They are familiar with the suggested resources.
Links to More:
Wildlife Resources Across the State:
US Fish and Wildlife
420 S. Garfield Avenue,
Pierre, SD 57501-5408
Phone (605) 224-8693
Michael Bryant: Refuge Manager—Lake Andes National Wildlife Refuge
38672 291st St
Lake Andes, SD 57356
Laura Hubers: Wildlife Biologist—Waubay National Wildlife Refuge
44401 134 A Street
Waubay, SD 57273
Jennifer Briggs: Partners for Fish and Wildlife Biologist—Madison Wetland Mgmt District
23520 SD Hwy 19/48
Madison, SD 57042
Charlene Bessken: Fish and Wildlife Biologist—Pierre—Ecological Services Office
(605) 224-8639 x 231
420 South Garfield Ave
Pierre, SD 57501